Everything posted by James Hunt
-
Royal Rumble 2026: Who Should Win & Who Will Win?
The Rumble is this weekend, so who is gonna come out on top, and who do you want to see win it? Women's: Should win: Liv Morgan. She's probably my favourite Superstar across both brands, men and women. Her injury was a huge loss, and now that she's back, get her into the title scene. The tag team division has plenty going on anyway, and there's lots of potential here with her and Stephanie (who needs someone strong on the mic opposite her for a big Mania build), her and Raquel potentially, and so on. I also think it would be very funny (and yet also deserved) if Chelsea Green were to win, but they won't do it. Will win: I think Liv has a very strong shot, especially after being runner-up twice, though might slightly favour the odds Bianca Belair coming back and winning it. I'd be fine with that too because, recent arrival of Jordynne Grace aside, Jade's title reign hasn't been great. Men's: Should win: I'd love WWE to do something really bold, strap the rocket to Oba Femi, and have him win, but that's almost certainly not going to happen (though I can see him getting a monster booking with several eliminations and lasting a long time). I'd be fine with Bron Breakker, and after the past few weeks wouldn't say no to Finn Balor or AJ Styles (if he gets past Gunther) winning it and building to giving them a big Mania moment. Will win: Hard to see past Roman Reigns with it being in Saudi (if Sami wasn't in the title match already I might say him, as it had seemingly been building in that direction), so probably Roman or Bron. I think they'll play it very safe with the location and the poor response to Jey winning last year.
-
Thanos might be in Avengers: Secret Wars (Is that too much nostalgia bait?)
I mean this and Doomsday are just gonna be Nostalgia Bait: The Movie - Part 1 & 2 so why the hell not at this point (but I agree if he's in it it should just be to kill him off quickly, the MCU has already done that a bunch in things like What If...?)
-
What do you think the balance of the Force is in Star Wars?
George Lucas, changing his mind? Not having it all planned out? Making it up as he goes along? I refuse to believe it.
-
What do you think of Wonder Man?
I think some of its strengths are broadly similar - great lead performances, something that breaks with MCU formula, but also found it a fair bit less entertaining
-
What do you think the balance of the Force is in Star Wars?
I go back and forth on this. I think light/dark in equal balance is too simplistic and doesn't really fit with what we've seen (people always point to the Mortis Gods with this but I think overlooks how much more the Son needs to be kept in check), but also think the idea of the dark side being a perversion and only the light being the "true" Force is a bit less interesting and makes things more bland, so I'd land somewhere in the middle, with it being about controlling and balancing the dark inside you while staying within the light (which the sequels sort of get at with Rey)
-
What do you think of Wonder Man?
It's fun, different, and the dynamic between Simon and Trevor is, well, wonderful. It's not top-tier MCU TV for me out of the Disney+ shows (e.g. WandaVision, Hawkeye, Daredevil: Born Again) but I enjoyed it.
-
Do you think Lucasfilm was right to cancel The Acolyte?
Yeah, I think that budget (which... did not come across on-screen) combined with low viewership makes it very easy to see why Lucasfilm cancelled it. Obviously the latter of those is wrapped up in the toxic backlash to the series, which makes its cancellation way more unfortunate, as the worst people will take it as legitimisation of their views, but also... the show sadly wasn't good. I would like to see more of Qimir, though, who I actually think was an interesting character (and Manny Jacinto gave by far the best performance in the series), including what happens next with him and Plagueis, but that's the only part I'm interested in continuing
-
Do you still want to see Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4?
Raimi has giving an update that basically it's not gonna happen, so how do you feel about that? If you had the power, would you still make it? I liked Maguire's return in No Way Home, and while I wasn't a massive fan of Doctor Strange 2, the best parts were where Marvel got out the way and let Raimi do his thing, so they've both still got it. There's part of me thinks it might be better left alone, but the nostalgia factor is strong and Mattson Tomlin, who talked about having an idea for it, has the superhero credentials too.
-
What does the Terminator series need to get on track?
True, though I think there's a difference between Cameron actually writing the screenplay rather than helping break the story then handing it off to David Goyer (and then just saying "honestly this one is the REAL sequel guys, I promise, and I mean it this time")! I don't really disagree with your point though, especially in terms of going elsewhere in the timeline. Like you say, it's worked wonders for Predator (and Alien has also benefited massively from shifting focus to new characters), so can't argue with that.
-
What does the Terminator series need to get on track?
Give it to Christopher Nolan with a blank cheque and just see what happens. Genuinely, though, as basic as it sounds, I think so many of the franchise's ideas had potential that could've been elevated into at least pretty good/fun movies, rather than disaster after disaster, if they'd had actual good writers and directors making these movies rather than the likes of... checks notes McG and the guys behind Catwoman (2004). So if Cameron does write the screenplay, that's immediately an improvement over every other sequel post-T2
-
You have $15 to build your MCU Avengers team…
Captain Marvel, Thor, Scarlet Witch, and I'll bet the remaining $1 that I win
-
Darth Maul: Shadow Lord trailer is out - what do you think?
Yeah this got me so hyped. The new animation style is absolutely stunning, but everything else it teases about the story direction and Maul's character, the apprentice, the Inquisitors, and so on look pretty great too.
-
What Oscar Movies Do You Want/Need to Catch Up On?
Bugonia, Hamnet, The Secret Agent, and Sentimental Value from the BP nominees (particularly interested in Hamnet and SV of those). Blue Moon I'd want to see anyway since it's Linklater, the acting nod just adds to it. If I Had Legs I'd Kick You and I guess Song Sung Blue would be nice for completion in the acting categories (I have no real interest in the latter beyond that though).
-
What do you think of the Oscars 2026 nominations?
The noms are in, with Sinners making awards history by picking up 16(!!!) nominations. It wasn't quite my favourite of 2025, but it's still super cool to see such a crowd-pleasing vampire horror movie achieve that at the Oscars. I'd personally have One Battle After Another ahead of it, but can't begrudge it a win at this point. Rooting for Timmy to reign Supreme as Best Actor.
-
If you could bring one show back, what would it be?
GLOW - I'd have it in the top 5 best Netflix original shows, and it sucks they cancelled it before Season 4. Also, while there have been reboot talks for years, I wouldn't say no to Friday Night Lights coming back properly; it had a wonderful ending but I think more Coach Taylor would be good for the world (and if it's made with clear eyes and full heats, it can't lose). Finally, though my head knows it's probably not a great idea, my heart still gets excited by any talk of more Gilmore Girls.
-
WWE Unreal, is it too far?
I like the idea of it in theory, but it also seems clear that so much booking happened with "this will be great on Unreal" in mind and given how bad 2025 was for WWE, those things are obviously somewhat linked
-
What's your favorite MCU movie in the Multiverse Saga?
Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I don't think it's particularly close tbh (although tellingly it's the one most in keeping with the Infinity Saga, ha). I'll also give a shoutout to Shang-Chi, though I didn't like the ending repeating some of the MCU's worst CGI final battle habits. Thunderbolts* and F4 were both pretty good too. No Way Home was wonderful fan service, not a great movie. The rest are somewhere from fun and fine to forgettable.
-
Maxima is coming to Man of Tomorrow; is this the right move?
I can't say I know much about Maxima, but I'm certainly glad that Man of Tomorrow isn't shoehorning in Wonder Woman. I'm very interested to see what the DCU has in store for Diana and there'll be a lot they can do with that character, but let's not repeat the mistakes of the DCEU's rushed setup
-
What Game of Thrones spinoffs do you want to see next?
- What movie or show has been sitting on your watchlist way too long?
Battlestar Galactica (I started it during the pandemic, but then never finished it) and Dark. Also pretty much everything on Apple TV that isn't Ted Lasso- Can a new Slayer live up to Buffy the Vampire Slayers legacy?
I think so. It's baked into the fabric of the show from the very beginning that this is generational, so I like the idea of seeing someone new take on the mantle. And, as Matt says, the key here is that Buffy is still involved and can be the one guiding the new Slayer, not just getting replaced by her. More than anything for me, Sarah Michelle Gellar agreeing to do it, and how patient they've been with it, is the best possible sign to have faith (and, if we're lucky, to have Faith).- Kathleen Kennedy is out of Star Wars? How are we feeling?
Fine? I think Kennedy ultimately did more good than bad with Star Wars (Force Awakens, Rogue One, Last Jedi, Mando S1&2, and Andor are highs that were absolutely worth the lows of things like TROS and Boba Fett), but it was probably time to move on. Jury is out on Filoni in this specific role (Brennan is clearly very experienced and should be business as usual on that side), but so long as it's balanced, it'll be ok. And it at least means things will start moving forward more now, as the long-term future of the franchise has clearly been in stasis while waiting for this changeover to happen. Still can't for the life of me fathom how Simon Kinberg is the guy whose new movies are the most likely to happen, but 🤷♂️- When Will the Brand New Day Trailer Release?
Super Bowl would make a lot of sense at this point, given they haven't already dropped one. Only thing that gives me pause is iirc Sony pretty much always skips it, but there's not an obvious release to attach it to soon, unless they wait until March (NWH marketing didn't start until quite late)- What Game of Thrones spinoffs do you want to see next?
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is about to premiere, and HOTD is coming back later this year. Beyond that, HBO has a bunch of things in development (Aegon's Conquest, 10,000 Ships, The Sea Snake, The Golden Empire), and there are now reports they want to revive the Jon Snow spinoff and maybe combine it with an Arya Stark sequel too. What shows would you actually want to watch? I'd kill for them to do a five-season Blackfyre Rebellions anthology style series. And if they are going to do something set after Season 8, I'd happily take an Arya show following her new adventures beyond Westeros, but wouldn't want anyone else back.- What’s something fandom-related you’re looking forward to this week?
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (which I reviewed and absolutely loved), but also hoping to see 28 Years Later: The Bone Temple (especially after reading Spencer's review) - What movie or show has been sitting on your watchlist way too long?