Everything posted by James Hunt
-
We're getting another new Lord of the Rings Movie!
The Colbert aspect is kinda wild and at least makes me more intrigued in this than The Hunt for Gollum, but I still struggle to muster up too much enthusiasm for the franchise going further down the "story-within-a-story, nostalgia-grab-for-first-three-movies" route
-
What are your favorite thought-provoking sci-fi movies?
There's a lot so I'm gonna narrow it down to the last 10 years, from which my picks would be Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Annihilation, and Ad Astra (in that order)
-
Name one movie theater experience you wish you could relive
The Force Awakens at midnight. The most I've been hyped for a movie; the moment between "a long time ago..." and the opening crawl was like a perfect moment of anticipation, and when the Star Wars Disney era peaked in terms of fandom (because everything after became so divided and toxic). Not a perfect movie, but a near-perfect experience
-
PROJECT HAIL MARY - What Did You Think?!
AMAZE AMAZE AMAZE, statement. 👎
-
Best movie so far in 2026
Definitely Project Hail Mary for me
-
What fictional vehicle would you want to own?
I second all of this
-
What fictional item would you want in real life?
There are far more practical and useful things, but I've dreamed of having a real lightsaber since I was like 5, so it's gotta be that
-
Best movie you've seen more than once?
Like Chris says, there are hundreds, so I'll give the two most recent movies it happened with, which were One Battle After Another and KPop Demon Hunters
-
What are your thoughts on the Buffy cancellation drama?
It's quite fascinating to see this play out so publicly between the two camps, with SMG trying to put all the blame on Hulu and that executive, and then the studio coming back with that hit piece on Chloé Zhao. I assume, as usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Zhao's an odd fit for the show (based on her movies), there were differences of opinion over what it should be, it wasn't great, but that they also weren't given the best shot at making it work, it's just quite rare to see it all happen so openly.
-
Who is Sadie Sink playing in Spider-Man: Brand New Day?
I... think she's Jean Grey, ha. The trailer actually convinced me more. The tease of the powers fits, the story setup of being hunted by Damage Control lines up with establishing them as an anti-mutant force, and given they're turning Sink's character into such a mystery box, the best payoff to that is Jean Grey (and similarly, if she's in Secret Wars as reported, that makes the most sense too). There is, admittedly, an element of just seeing what I want to see there and a bit of confirmation bias, but at this point I think any other reveal would disappoint fans quite a lot
-
Hardest You've Ever Laughed in the Theater?
I'm definitely forgetting a bunch of things (and the Jump Street movies had a few great ones), but it's probably either the scene of Seth's dick drawings in Superbad (though I could pick just about anything from that movie tbh), or the magazine argument in This Is The End.
-
Top 4 movies
The Empire Strikes Back It's A Wonderful Life La La Land Those three are very much locked in as my three favourite movies, in that order. #4 changes depending on the day, but some of the options would be Back To The Future, Toy Story, Star Wars (aka A New Hope), Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, LOTR: The Two Towers, Hot Fuzz, and Pan's Labyrinth. So there's a top... 11, and I'm definitely forgetting some.
-
What do you think of the Spider-Man: Brand New Day trailer?
Yeah, I think it depends how it's handled. Looks like it's going to be the emotional throughline of the movie, which does make sense and could give it some heft, but if it just reverts to the status quo by the ending that could be pretty disappointing
-
What do you think of the Spider-Man: Brand New Day trailer?
It's finally here: https://comicbook.com/movies/news/spider-man-brand-new-day-full-trailer-finally-released-after-a-full-day-of-teasing-reveals-bruce-banner-punisher-more/ I probably would've enjoyed it more if it hadn't been revealed in 2-second clips over the past 24 hours, but I do think it's a fun trailer and looks pretty good (though also not helped by coming right after the Dune 3 trailer)! What are your thoughts?
-
Favorite new movie/TV show of 2026 so far?
On the TV side I've got to give it to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, though I also really liked How To Get To Heaven From Belfast and Wonder Man. I've not watched nearly enough movies yet this year, so I'm just gonna provisionally say that Project Hail Mary will take that crown this weekend, and for now it's the Dune 3 trailer
-
What is up with the weird trailer releases?
Yep, a trailer release entirely designed for people with no attention span
-
Thoughts on Dune 3 Trailer?
Looks absolutely incredible. Love the first two, love Villeneuve, love the cast (Pattinson looks amazing, and also, oddly, a little like Sting's Feyd-Rautha from the 1984 movie), can't wait to see this on the biggest screen possible, will almost certainly be taking priority over Doomsday for me.
-
What do you think of the Spider-Man: Brand New Day trailer release?
I sure do love having to regularly refresh some random influencer's Instagram, waiting for a 2-second clip that has no context to it
-
What do you think of the new Darth Maul trailer?
Agree - first teaser was great, this one is even better
-
Thoughts on the Oscars 2026?
What were your feelings on the winners, and on the ceremony itself? The best movie of 2025 won Best Picture, so I can't complain too much there, and most other things went as expected. The ceremony itself remains way too long, I love Conan but a lot of his stuff this year didn't land, but still some good bits, and the In Memoriam segment was emotional and very well done.
-
Halloween
Scream, The Shining, and An American Werewolf in London would be my top 3
-
If we picked, what's winning Best Picture?
Yeah, One Battle is clear by a comfortable margin in my eyes. Sinners is very good, but that's great
-
What are you hoping for from this week's Firefly announcement?
Nathan Fillion has been doing videos getting the cast back together, teasing an announcement for this Sunday (where they're at AwesomeCon). This has, naturally, led to speculation that we're finally getting a Firefly Season 2/revival. I'm not expecting that much - I assume it'll just be some kind of reunion special/table read/25th anniversary announcement thing, though I also wouldn't be too surprised if it was game-related or some other branding thing. However, any of that would be disappointing given how much they've been hyping it up, and even saying "it is what you're thinking about," on a recent post, which at least gives more credence to the reboot idea. What do you think it will be? Would you want to see the show come back, and if so, live-action or animation?
-
Favorite Pixar Movies?
This is so tough but right now my Top 5 would be: Up Inside Out Finding Nemo Toy Story 3 Toy Story Ask me again tomorrow and WALL-E, Toy Story 2, and Ratatouille could all be in there.
-
Pokopia is the best Pokémon game ever!
Ugh the temptation to buy a Switch 2 just for this 😫