Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ComicBook Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

James Hunt

Banned
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by James Hunt

  1. The Boys is back for its final season. I thought the two-part premiere was pretty good: I liked the death scene in it, some good action beats, lots of fun character moments, and generally solid setup for where the season is headed (helped by knowing it's the final one). What did others think?
  2. It was very good! Funny, fresh, and Zendaya and Pattinson are fantastic
  3. Yeah, these would be my two picks!
  4. I was already very excited for Jessica Jones' return, because I love Krysten Ritter's portrayal and think S1 of that show is up there with the very best of Marvel TV. The Defenders as a whole, though, I struggle to get excited about. The original team-up series sucked. Iron Fist was terrible. Luke Cage had half a good season, but I do like Mike Colter's portrayal. But yeah, idk, will see how it plays out because I trust what they're doing with Born Again 🤷‍♂️
  5. The Social Network - Pretty much defines an entire era and has remained relevant Get Out - Was a big cultural moment, a shift for filmmaking (and awards) in terms of prestige horror, and in terms of sociopolitics is very interesting for both the Obama era and BLM. Avatar/The Avengers - Purely in movie terms, looking at how the landscape became so dominated by shared universes, franchises, and comic book movies, something from the early MCU makes sense. But I also think showing someone who hasn't seen a movie in 26 years Avatar would blow their minds more than anything else. Honourable mentions to The Big Short (don't really like Adam McKay's "serious" movies, but it is a good snapshot of the financial crash), 25th Hour (probably the best 9/11 movie), Children of Men (both fitting of the post-9/11, War on Terrior, Bush-era feelings of the time and simultaneously prescient with regards to things on the environment, finances, refugees, politics, etc)
  6. If the moviegoing industry was still where it was in 2017-19 then I could maybe see the argument, betting on holiday legs, fun family movie, drawing power of The Rock, but even then going up against two blockbusters with the expectations of Dune and Doomsday would be a big risk. Doing so in a post-Covid theatrical landscape, when The Rock is no longer the franchise box office draw he used to be, just seems silly. It wouldn't shock me if it does ok because clearly people do turn out for those movies, but it's very hard to see
  7. I'm hoping to go see The Drama this weekend, though TMZ of all places already spoiled it for me. And I'll probably go see Michael at the end of the month. Also intrigued by Mother Mary, mostly because I loved David Lowery's The Green Knight and the cast is great, but not sure I'll get to theaters for it.
  8. I thought they were both pretty good, there's a solid, gradual build to the story so far. The fight sequence at the end of Ep 3 was awesome, and I'm really liking the dynamic between Matt and Karen this season
  9. The full trailer has now released https://comicbook.com/movies/news/dcs-full-supergirl-trailer-released-and-it-might-be-even-better-than-james-gunns-superman/ What do you think? I am 100% sold. Purely in terms of trailers we've had so far, I think it's the most exciting of this year's superhero movies right now, and I would die to save Krypto.
  10. Honor Among Thieves is the exact comparison I made to Tom after the trailer dropped, ha. Very similar in that "Fun reimagining of a nerdy 1980s fantasy franchise that's never been successful on the big screen" way
  11. Yeah, this. Also, it's sandwiched in between The Mandalorian and Grogu and Disclosure Day, so while I agree with Tom that it looks fun, it's probably not going to win out for me there. Honestly, if I see a movie on that weekend, it's currently more likely to be Scary Movie 😅
  12. I came into this thread having just about decided on movies over TV and then you throw books into the mix?! Ffs. I think books win then for the reason Nicole said, but I'm not happy about it
  13. Ending was great. I thought the rest was fine in a quite typical season premiere sort of way, some of which dragged, some was solid, but plenty of interesting things to build on going forward
  14. This would actually be my answer, so I am incredibly jealous. Checked to see if it was coming to the UK, and the only date is in London on New Year's Eve, which... may not be doable 🙃
  15. A bit like you, I definitely think it'd be fun and I'd go see it, but I am also not exactly sitting waiting for it
  16. Huuuuge challenge, but we've not heard any of Hans Zimmer yet. But it will need to be something different (or at least, I hope it is), so he's a good person for that
  17. I'm not fully up to date (I actually skipped ahead a few episodes for a work reason and need to go back) but I like what I've seen. It's just good enough I think, which is fine when there are so many ways this could've been terrible. It's nice, familiar, easy to watch, doesn't feel essential but I'm happy for them to be doing it and clearly having a good time
  18. What are some of your favorites that you've seen, just to help gauge and narrow it down? 😅
  19. I don't, for the same reason as you. The ending is so powerful because of Grace's choice, plus the ambiguity over what comes next, which a sequel would likely have to do if it were to bring Grace back. That said, if Andy Weir were to find a story he thinks is worthwhile, I'd trust him to deliver. And I mean, if we can't get The Nice Guys 2, and this instead becomes Gosling's buddy franchise where Grace and Rocky go around on intergalactic adventures investigating problems and saving aliens, I'm not going to be too mad about it. But seriously just give us The Nice Guys 2.
  20. I love La La Land so much. And yep - he's the main reason I'm so excited for Starfighter. Star Wars has never really had a casting like it, and I think his talent outweighs Shawn Levy's not-exactly-great track record.
  21. Gosling is having a great moment with Project Hail Mary, and he's one of my favourite actors, with one of the best filmographies of the 21st Century. I wrote my own ranking, so I'm now curious what everyone else's favourite of his is?
  22. I also felt a little emotional, though that may have partly just been relief having spent an entire day with the draft of the trailer article open waiting for it to drop so I could publish
  23. Looks wonderful. The kids are perfect, absolutely love the brief glimpses we get of the Golden Trio together, and Dudley and Draco both look like little shits, as they should. I wasn't entirely sure about Lithgow as Dumbledore (an American?!), but he looks fantastic and even from a second, he's got that glint in his eye the character needs. I like the warmth and slight weirdness we get hints of with Nick Frost as Hagrid. I think Hogwarts (internal) might already be looking better than the movies - the Entrance Hall is fantastic, the classrooms look more magical, and I'm excited for it to just have more of school life. Also a big fan of Petunia and Vernon; they look more like they ought to, whereas the movie versions were already anachronistic at the time.
  24. Something different! This one is set 14 years after ROTK, with Sam, Merry, and Pippin reminiscing about the past, which is a framing device so that it can adapt some book chapters that the Fellowship movie cut (like the Hobbits with Tom Bombadil) https://comicbook.com/movies/news/warner-bros-announces-a-new-lord-of-the-rings-movie-and-youll-never-guess-whos-writing-it/
  25. I mostly agree, and in a way don't think it matters too much what they do in Doomsday/Secret Wars in terms of beating it at this point. Even if Doctor Doom is great (which is plausible, it's not like RDJ is a bad actor), it'll be "well, the setup wasn't as good as Thanos." Just from a perception standpoint, that's probably too ingrained now. Honestly, I don't mind too much the lack of setup/connectivity, if we can just get good stories and villains for each movie. With Thanos, the setup was very cool and added a lot to it for sure, but if you take him out of the Infinity Saga before IW/Endgame, he's still a super compelling villain with a really clear, strong motivation that combines with a huge threat level to make him perfect for those movies. And given Marvel's struggles post-Endgame, getting back to basics a bit isn't a bad idea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.