Everything posted by James Hunt
-
What are your unpopular DC movie opinions?
And that's why we need a Birds of Prey sequel!
-
What are your unpopular DC movie opinions?
We've done the MCU, so what are your unpopular DC movie opinions and hot takes. What's your most negative Nolan thought, your boldest Snyder defence, and so on? I think The Dark Knight Rises is incredible, better than Begins, and the criticisms of it are silly and boring, Batman Returns is the second-best Batman movie ever made (behind only TDK, it clears 1989), and Birds of Prey is the absolute best DCEU movie and one of the most fun DC movies period.
-
Are you excited for Scooby-Doo: Origins?
We just got the first look at Scooby-Doo in Netflix's upcoming live-action TV show (https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/netflix-just-revealed-scooby-doo-for-the-live-action-remake-its-a-real-dog-ridiculously-cute/). Are you excited for this new take on the Mystery, Inc. gang? The casting is pretty great, but it's the real pup that has truly made me excited, because my god how adorable! Will watch just for the good boy. How about you?
-
Are you excited for Wonder Woman's prequel show?
I trust what James Gunn's doing with the DCU and I liked The Handmaid's Tale and even more so Bridgerton, and they're interesting writers to hire for this show, but I'd still just be more interested in an actual new Wonder Woman movie
-
Taylor Swift x Toy Story
Yeah, I think it's good, cute, and a nice mix between something Folklorey and her earlier country stuff, but I wanted it to destroy me. Which it probably will still do within the movie itself. Also excited for the acoustic and piano versions
-
Who should play SPOILER in Masters of the Universe 2 (if it happens)?
Erica Lindbeck would be good
-
What TV plot twist shocked you the most?
Was NOT prepared for that from Scrubs 😭
-
Disclosure Day Hype Check
Was hyped for this the second "Untitled Steven Spielberg UFO Project" was first announced, and am even more excited after strong marketing and the first reactions' hype. It looks great - like you say, a culmination in a way, since it feels both modern and yet clearly influenced by/calling back to things like Close Encounters. It's been too long since we had a Spielberg Sci-Fi, and too long since we had a summer blockbuster from the guy who invented them. The early box office forecasts are pretty solid, so hopefully he can get a hit, though it's a busy month!
-
Would you rather see The Mandalorian & Grogu 2, The Mandalorian Season 4, or neither?
Yeah, I think it depends on how long Ahsoka runs for and when/how they wrap the Thrawn stuff up, since there's been no indication of them in Season 2, but I can definitely see them being involved in that endgame. I don't want to say goodbye to Grogu though, just let him stay an adorable baby who does cute things on screen forever please
-
Would you rather see The Mandalorian & Grogu 2, The Mandalorian Season 4, or neither?
I would agree with you 99/100 times on this about Star Wars (and most franchises) but in this case I would just be happy with more fun Mando and Grogu adventures
-
What TV plot twist shocked you the most?
Yes! Jaw was on the floor when that happened, it was so sudden. BCS Season 6 was just incredible
-
What TV plot twist shocked you the most?
Man, this was so good - Westworld S1 was such a wild ride, shame they stopped after just one season
-
Would you rather see The Mandalorian & Grogu 2, The Mandalorian Season 4, or neither?
Brendan Wayne gave a very positive update on the chances of more Mando & Grogu (here), so would you rather get a movie sequel, see the characters return to a TV show, or just leave it? Honestly, as long as we get more of Grogu, I don't really mind whether it's a movie or show - I've had a good time with both - but do think it lends itself better to episodic TV storytelling. How about you?
-
Can legacy sci-fi ever be rebooted correctly?
Yeah, it increasingly seems near-impossible, certainly across all the major franchises on TV in recent years: Star Wars with The Acolyte (and a few other examples, but that's the most prominent one in this particular discussion), Doctor Who with RTD's return, several Star Trek TV shows, all resulting in backlashes - albeit often from a vocal minority of older fans for all the wrong reasons - and cancellations or uncertain futures in DW's case. Smaller scale, Quantum Leap seems to have been liked by OG fans, but without winning enough new ones. Alien: Earth has a second season confirmed, but is also divisive. Looking at movies, Predator might be the most successful example this decade (I'm not including Dune because the original movie wasn't popular). POTA, to a lesser extent, because Kingdom wasn't quite as well-received as the 2010s reboot, has done well too. idk what the answer to it is, there's such a feeling of ownership and disagreements over what these things fundamentally are/should be that it's always going to be difficult
-
What TV plot twist shocked you the most?
I really need to watch Dark. Shutter Island is a great twist as well
-
What TV plot twist shocked you the most?
Some great shouts - Omar might've been the most shocking on The Wire, but Wallace is so devastating. Likewise, Adriana on The Sopranos... not as out of nowhere as the other two becuse that whole car journey builds to it, but goddamn it's brutal.
-
The return of Savage (and Grey?) Hulk in Spider-Man: Brand New Day
lol, yeah I can't argue with any of that!
-
The Onslaught trailer is amazing!
Dammit Marco, don't go bringing logic and reason into the hype! But yeah, this looks awesome
-
The return of Savage (and Grey?) Hulk in Spider-Man: Brand New Day
Yeah, this sounds awesome! Although also the kind of thing that needs the right level of care and attention - I don't think it's the reason Marvel hasn't done it, but the inability to make a Hulk solo movie might have hurt it if they had attempted something like it.
-
What TV plot twist shocked you the most?
It's been 13 years since Game of Thrones' Red Wedding (wrote about that here), which remains one of the most shocking plot twists ever. What's a TV twist that absolutely stunned you?
-
Mando and Grogu Box Office - What Happened?
Yeah, very much so. Certainly nothing that would seem to make any sense for Star Wars - even before TM&G, it felt like IF we were to get a Mandoverse crossover it'd be more likely on Disney+ (and probably just wrapped up in Ahsoka). Marvel... again, not much that would make sense. If they were to do a Midnight Sons movie then that might have elements of it, but it'd also have some big names that moviegoers know as well like Blade. Agree on Starfighter. If that underperforms, I'll accept that Star Wars is in a really bad place and has huge questions about its future, because it definitely screams being more of an "event" and has a lot going for it, no obvious excuses like Mando has.
-
Taylor Swift x Toy Story
Taylor Swift is now confirmed to have written a song for Toy Story 5... and it's for an emotional Jessie scene. This is going to absolutely destroy me and makes me even more excited for the movie (and for the 2027 Oscars since there's now a solid chance we get a Taylor Swift performance). Anyone else excited to have their heart ripped out?
-
Euphoria Series Finale Thoughts?
Anyone watch the Euphoria Season 3 finale, which is now confirmed to be the end of the show as a whole? Season 3 was basically a completely different show from seasons 1 and 2, and a worse one at that, but... I still enjoyed it in a trashy, fun TV kind of way. Finale spent way too much time on characters I didn't care about and not nearly enough on most of the ones I do care about (Hunter Schafer clearly didn't want to be involved much this season), and oddly went into Tarantino territory, but I actually really liked how they handled Rue's story, and a few moments did make me genuinely emotional, so I'll take that as a win because I thought it could've easily been a disaster
-
The return of Savage (and Grey?) Hulk in Spider-Man: Brand New Day
This sounds really interesting, would be good if the MCU could pull it off (but could also easily imagine it going wrong)
-
The return of Savage (and Grey?) Hulk in Spider-Man: Brand New Day
It's crazy to me that we've not had an actual on-screen Hulk out transformation since The Avengers, so that alone I'm looking forward to (hopefully, presumably) changing, but I agree that messing with his mind could work well here