Everything posted by Nicole Drum
-
10 Best DC Heroes Ranked
Sensation #1 is her first feature. While All Star #8 is technically her first appearance, it's more of an extended teaser for Sensation #1. I feel like it's probably more accurate to say that both All Star #8 and Sensation #1 are both "first" appearances for the character.
-
Nolan's The Odyssey - Do you Care at All About the Accents or Accuracy?
People wringing their hands about "accuracy" are generally the same group of people who never bothered to read Homer when it was assigned reading in high school so honestly I don't care about the discourse. It's not even a "historical" story to begin with. It's, in the broadest terms, merely folklore, old timey popular fiction that likely changed in its delivery from audience to audience anyway. To me, this just continues that tradition.
-
Should cancelled TV shows come back as movies?
Yeah, I don't think that this movie is going to be connected to the tv show at all. As for why movies keep getting remade, I think you actually kind of hit on it when you mention "re-doing old classics". Those stories are classics for a reason and, frequently, there are new things to glean from those stories if they're updated for contemporary audiences. Realistically, there are always new stories being turned into movies and tv shows. They just aren't always the big name, big promo blockbusters and often fly under the radar.
-
Who's Excited for VisionQuest?
We FINALLY have a confirmed release date for VisionQuest! Who is excited for the series--and the return of Ultron?
-
Should cancelled TV shows come back as movies?
Warner Bros is developing a new Westworld movie just a few years after the cancellation of the HBO series. While it seems more like the new movie is a reboot of the 1973 film the series was based on, it makes me wonder if cancelled tv shows should ever get a new life as movies or if maybe we just need to stop with reboots altogether.
-
Who is Sinqua Walls Playing in Man of Steel
We just got a new casting announcement for Man of Tomorrow, with Sinqua Walls joining the cast -- but the role is a mystery. Who do we think it is? I'm going to lean towards Walls potentially being an antagonist of some kind, though I'd LOVE to see him as Black Lightning.
-
What are you currently reading?
Will do! I'm excited to get started on it -- might try to knock it out this weekend!
-
What is Christopher Nolan's Best Movie?
TDK is my absolute favorite (my best friend and I literally celebrate TDK day every year) but I still really think The Prestige is his best-made movie. It's probably fourth on my list of favorites of his, though.
-
We Just Got Our First "Look" At The Batman Part 2 -- anyone else getting Mr Freeze Vibes?
Matt Reeves just dropped a pair of images of the film test for The Batman Part 2 and it shows what seems to be the Batmobile driving in the snow. I don't know about you but the snow of it all is certainly giving me big Mr. Freeze vibes. Could he be the villain in this movie or do you think something else is at play?
-
What is Christopher Nolan's Best Movie?
With The Odyssey coming out soon, I've been thinking a lot about where the film could stack up in Nolan's overall filmography which in turn got me to thinking about which of his movies is his best. I personally lean towards The Prestige, but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.
-
You’re stranded on a deserted island and can only bring one movie/TV character with you. Who do you choose and why?
(My real answer is Godzilla.)
-
You’re stranded on a deserted island and can only bring one movie/TV character with you. Who do you choose and why?
What if I just want to enjoy some peace and quiet by myself on the island?
-
Comic book brick and mortar stores
I've had a brick and morter comic shop in every town or city I've ever lived in -- including a really tiny town! They exist and they rock and if you have the chance you absolutely should go patronize one (and many are cool and have online options for folks who can't get to a store!)
-
MCU Confirms Major Spider-Man Origin Change - How Do You Feel?
Honestly, the MCU has made enough little changes and tweaks with characters that I don't mind this one. I also just sort of feel like poor Peter gets enough heaped on him so it's kind of nice that for once he doesn't have THIS particular trauma to contend with.
-
What are you currently reading?
I just re-read The Testaments and am almost done with We Are Legion (We Are Bob). I just got Yesteryear so I need to start that and I have like 10 books on my TBR.
-
Pokemon Fossil Museum at the Field Museum in Chicago!
This is the first I have heard of this but now I'm thinking I might have to look into heading up there for this. It's only an hour-ish flight for me (and another excuse to go see my favorite dinosaure while I'm at it!) So cool!
-
What’s your favorite Star Wars memory? 💫
Oh man, I have a few: having dinner with and talking Star Wars with Peter Mayhew at an event. Going to see The Last Jedi immediately after my mom's funeral because it's exactly what she would have wanted as a massive Star Wars fan. Bursting into tears at Galaxy's Edge, both because it was like BEING in Star Wars and also because it was a gift given to me by my best friend. But my favorite is probably less directly about Star Wars and more about the experience of going to see it in the late 90s when they re-released A New Hope in theaters. A small group of my friends decided that we HAD to go see it the day it hit theaters so we borrowed a friend's mom's car and sped the entire hour long drive to the nearest theater. There may or may not have been a situation involving someone riding in the trunk because there wasn't enough room in the car.... there is just something exhilarating about the experience that I'm taking right back to every time I watch that movie now.
-
Teen wolf
DEREK HALE. I will eternally be a Derek Hale fan. I also just recently re-binged the entire series. Still a Derek fan.
-
How Long Should Networks Give TV Shows Before Cancelling Them?
Shooketh that you're agreeing with Matt, Nick. ;) But yeah, I think three is the sweet spot. If we still had proper, long seasons, it might be different.
-
How Long Should Networks Give TV Shows Before Cancelling Them?
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS
-
How Long Should Networks Give TV Shows Before Cancelling Them?
I will never forgive Netflix for cancelling 1899.
-
Meryl Streep thinks Marvel has made movies worse. Is she right?
That is a pretty solid point. I think it would be interesting to do a quality comparison just with the basic box office entries for any given year over the past, say 20. Just look at what was out, what was popular, and if we see the same sort of patterns in the past but simply can't see them from the present.
-
How Long Should Networks Give TV Shows Before Cancelling Them?
Today it was reported that Fox has cancelled the series Going Dutch after two seasons and while it sounds like that was a decision based on ratings -- and made after giving the show two full seasons to find its audience -- it made me wonder about what a reasonable amount of time for a network to give a show before cutting it would be. In the age of streaming so many series are cut very early on only to find major audiences after their demise. It would seem like maybe some shows just need time to bloom. But, by the same token, how much time is too much time?
-
Batman Is Overrated—And Not Even the Most Interesting Character in His Own Stories
I think it's less that Batman is overhyped and more that he's oversaturated. There are, at any given time, just too damn many Batman books going at once.
-
What comic books make for good reads if you loved Dungeon Crawler Carl?
Dungeon Crawler Carl is the hottest thing right now and I for one am pumped for the new book coming out in just a few more days. However, I know that once I tear through it I'll need something new to read -- and comics seems like a good choice! What comics do you think would be good reads after Dungeon Crawler Carl? Should they all be sci-fi? I think there are a few fantasy titles that might actually be better fits to scratch that itch.