Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ComicBook Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ChrisA90

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ChrisA90

  1. Everyone being cast now will be a couple of years older by the time the movie comes out, so it may not be as big of a deal. And like Ben said, they want the X-Men to be around for a while, so they're gonna skew younger.
  2. The Sam Raimi trilogy will always be my favorite. I grew up with that series and it's really the thing that got me into superhero stuff. I didn't read comics when I was a kid. Spider-Verse is great too. Can't wait for the third film next year. It's cool that Spider-Man is part of the MCU now and can interact with all the other Marvel characters. I like the self-contained, pre-MCU stuff more than shared universe, but enjoyed No Way Home and Brand New Day.
  3. An Insomniac Deadpool game could be fun. Breaking the fourth wall in that format. He could call you out for not doing the attack combos quick enough whenever he gets hit and loses health. Total opposite end of the spectrum, but a Punisher game where you take down organized crime in NYC. I love mob stories and stuff like that.
  4. If I'm remembering the Phase 1 days correctly, nobody was 100% sure that the MCU was going to work until The Avengers came out. The Iron Man movies were big, but all the other pre-Avengers movies were modest successes at best. It wasn't until Avengers broke records that Marvel became Marvel. Also, Incredible Hulk/Dark Knight was a completely different era. That's almost 20 years ago (I am old). Superhero movies are in a very different place now than they were then when the shared universe thing was more of a novelty. Spider-Man and Batman are always going to post big numbers. I think "the DCU is dead" talk is a bit premature, but Supergirl bombing as badly as it did is not a good look. Expectations for superhero movies are higher now because they've been such a big deal for so long.
  5. I rewatched the Raimi trilogy this year and it still holds up for me. There's something special about those films.
  6. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the backlash for the Watts movies sorta came out of nowhere? I remember all of them being well received when they came out. I don't think they're the best Spider-Man movies but they're fun. Yeah, No Way Home's flat visuals and script issues stand out more when you're removed from opening night hype and have the nostalgia glasses off, but the three Peters working together is still good stuff.
  7. With Disney pulling the plug on Wonder Man, they seem to really be sending a message that the streaming era is over. There aren't any new live-action MCU or Star Wars shows that haven't already been shot. What do you think the future for Marvel and Star Wars on Disney+ is? It's hard to see them completely stop making new shows, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a priority anymore. Maybe moving forward, they see streaming as the place for animated stuff like X-Men '97 and Shadow Lord and they'll save live-action stuff for the movies?
  8. I think you're on to something. I am an older millennial who remembers seeing Spider-Man 2 in theaters (somehow that was 22 years ago?!) and it blew me away. Brand New Day hits on similar themes with its Peter Parker story. I think Spidey is at its best when it's about Peter struggling balancing his personal life with superhero stuff. Brand New Day is my favorite live-action Spider-Man since the Raimi years. The only thing missing from BND was a scene where Peter's landlord asks for rent lol.
  9. One thing Marvel's always been great at is casting, so I trust them to find a great ensemble for X-Men. Especially since they know how important it will be to get this movie "right." I'm very curious to see what they do with Wolverine casting. Hugh Jackman is synonymous with that role now and the more they keep bringing him back, the harder it's gonna be to replace him. I would love for them to just use Dafne Keen as the MCU's Wolverine. She's in the age range that they want and everyone loves her already. It'd be so easy to make her part of the main universe after Secret Wars.
  10. Spider-Man: Brand New Day just scored the second biggest box office opening ever. I don't think anyone's surprised that it's a hit. But I never thought this would legit put up Endgame numbers. $355 million in one weekend domestically is insane. This one didn't even have the nostalgic multiverse angle of seeing all the old actors back. So why was Brand New Day so huge? Was it just because it's been five years since the last Spidey and we all just missed him?
  11. I got a little nervous when I saw how much Ned and MJ were in the trailers because I did not want them to undo the No Way Home ending, but I thought they implemented those characters really well. Him reconnecting with Ned at the end was sweet. I like that they grounded it in Peter's arc where he realizes he can't do this all alone. That added some weight to it so it felt earned. It would have been cheap if they concocted some way for Ned and MJ to have their memories restored. Interested to see what they do for Spider-Man 5. I think Peter being friends with Ned again, but Ned still doesn't have his memories of what happened in the Home trilogy would be fine as a compromise.
  12. To get started, I have to say Jean tricking Peter into thinking MJ remembered him on the rooftop is one of the most diabolical things I've seen in one of these movies. Great scene, but good lord that was cruel. Also, Yelena remains undefeated.
  13. I wanted to create a safe space where we could freely discuss Brand New Day spoilers as more of us see the film. So, SPOILER ALERT. Do not open this thread until you have already watched it (or you don't care about being spoiled).
  14. I rewatched the Raimi trilogy this year and found it so refreshing to watch Spider-Man movies that were just about Spider-Man. Maybe I'm just old and pining for my youth but I miss that pre-MCU era where these things could be more self contained.
  15. I don't know if it can live up to the original, but I think it'll come close. Very excited to see DiCaprio and Bale in the same movie.
  16. Samara Weaving is Emma Frost in the MCU. Thoughts?
  17. I really enjoyed it. My initial reaction is it's my favorite MCU movie since GOTG 3.
  18. I actually completely forgot about that part until I saw this lol
  19. My favorite MCU movie since GOTG 3. The best of the Tom Holland solo movies. Best live-action Spidey since the Raimi era. Also the strongest from a visual perspective since the Raimi era. It actually looked and felt like a movie lol. I know No Way Home was a COVID production and shooting that movie was a weird experience, but the jump in visuals from that to this was stark. Doing as much practically as possible was the right call.
  20. ChrisA90 posted a topic in TV
    WTF. Disney cancelled Wonder Man despite renewing it for Season 2 a few months ago. This bums me out. Wonder Man felt fresh and fun. I guess Disney is REALLY scaling back on streaming stuff.
  21. I am more curious to see how they pull this off than actually excited to see the movie. It just feels like Marvel admitting they screwed up big time after Endgame and they're trying to play the hits to generate buzz. It's not just Doom that lacks buildup. So many of the characters in this haven't been built up. Before Infinity War, we had an Iron Man trilogy, a Cap trilogy, a Thor trilogy, two GOTG movies, two other Avengers movies, multiple appearances from Widow, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Spider-Man. Doomsday feels like smashing the action figures together.
  22. Maybe that's why he didn't want to tell Sam about who he was with lol
  23. I get what you're saying, but Spider-Man and Batman are the two superheroes who are the most immune to any feelings of superhero fatigue. Those characters are always going to be a draw no matter what. They're like James Bond. They have massive widespread appeal and everyone all over the world loves them whether they've read comics or not. When people talk about superhero fatigue, they're talking about the movies that aren't based on the A-list characters. When the MCU was at its peak, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were big blockbusters. Last year, Thunderbolts didn't even hit $400 million worldwide. The Marvels only made $200 million worldwide. If we can get back to a point where Captain Marvel and Aquaman bring in $1 billion, then the superhero fatigue conversation is over.
  24. Maybe this is just me being nostalgic for when I was younger, but this year I've been rewatching Raimi Spider-Man, Fox X-Men, etc. and there's almost something refreshing about watching a superhero movie that isn't part of some massive interconnected universe. I kinda miss movies like that.
  25. ChrisA90 replied to saperry's topic in Movies
    Probably Ghost Rider because Gosling is one of my favorite actors. And as a Star Wars fan, I'm hoping Disney bringing him back with Levy for a Marvel movie bodes well for Starfighter.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.