Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ComicBook Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ChrisA90

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ChrisA90

  1. I buy all of my games digitally so this won't have any impact on me. But I feel for the people who still enjoy collecting physical copies. Seeing this is making me wonder when/if Blu-rays are going stop being made. Movies are the only medium I still get physically.
  2. ChrisA90 replied to Xzzarian's topic in General
    The Dark Knight trilogy because I'm a huge Christopher Nolan fan
  3. I'm team organic as well. Probably because I grew up with Tobey. That's just what I was used to.
  4. Possible hot take, but part of me has been wondering if there's really a high demand for a DCU among general moviegoers. I'm not saying the DCU can't work, but this is just a really interesting time to be trying to launch a shared comic book movie universe. It feels like the zeitgeist has sort of moved on. Even Marvel has had its fair share of struggles at the box office. Superhero movies aren't the dominant form of popcorn entertainment like they were in the 2010s. The days of Aquaman headlining a $1 billion blockbuster over Christmas are over. I think Superman was successful because it's a Superman movie that was well-received, and Superman is a popular character that a lot of people are familiar with. I don't think many casual viewers cared about the Justice Gang popping up or Supergirl making a cameo. They just wanted a feel-good, entertaining Superman movie. The novelty of the shared universe model has worn off. Endgame was the perfect jumping off point for the masses, and it's hard to get everyone back on board. I've been wondering if we're heading back to like a pre-Iron Man landscape where unless your superhero movie is about one of the major A-list characters that's a safe box office bet, you're gonna have a hard time getting it off the ground. Spider-Man is gonna be massive. The Batman 2 will be massive. Spider-Man and Batman are always massive. But say Gunn comes out at Hall H this year and says they've got Aquaman and Flash reboots coming in 2028. Will general audiences care? Personally, I'd be perfectly fine with a Gunn-directed Superman trilogy and then he peaces out to do his own thing while WB/Paramount try to sort everything out. I just think superhero movies are in a really different place now and it's hard to make a shared movie universe a big event. Maybe a year from now this ends up on Old Takes Exposed, and Safran is smart to not publicly overreact to one movie underperforming, I'm just really curious to see how this all pans out. I hope it does because I'm a big fan of Gunn. Didn't mean for this to be so long!
  5. Project Hail Mary is my favorite of the year so far. I could see The Odyssey passing it in a few weeks, but right now Project Hail Mary has that spot. Honorable mentions: Disclosure Day, Toy Story 5, Obsession
  6. Yeah that Variety review was nuts. I definitely think Supergirl is being unfairly overhated. It's not my favorite movie of the year but I had fun with it and would watch again.
  7. It's official. Supergirl's box office opening is very low. Worse than The Flash, unfortunately. What impact do you think this might have on the DCU moving forward? I know there's still Man of Tomorrow to look forward to, but what comes after? Is Supergirl going to have any impact on what gets the green light? I keep thinking about this James Gunn quote from last year when he said he probably isn't going to do certain movies about characters audiences don't know. Is the path forward here just Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman movies? Characters that are surer box office bets?
  8. My vote would have to be Supergirl. I thought MOTU was fun, but that was never my franchise. I've always been more into the superhero stuff, so I was always gonna gravitate more to Supergirl. Loved Milly's performance, Krypto, and David Corenswet is such a delight. Story wasn't the strongest, but still had fun with it. I compared it to Mando and Grogu in another thread.
  9. Do we think this could have done better at the box office if it had a less competitive release date? I get wanting it to be a big summer blockbuster, but June was loaded (including Toy Story 5) and July is stacked too. Part of me feels like if Supergirl came out in the spring maybe the tracking would be higher - at least for opening weekend.
  10. That would suck. But yeah it's weird how there isn't anything with a confirmed release date after Man of Tomorrow. Maybe that'll change at SDCC?
  11. I agree it's a mixed bag. For me, this is kinda the Mando and Grogu of the DCU. I like individual characters (Milly is great. It's impossible to dislike Krypto) but the story is just very thin and generic. I had fun with it. Clearly not the best superhero movie I've ever seen but also not the worst.
  12. Seconded on Amy Adams. She is so, so good. She needs to be in great stuff all the time so she can finally get her Oscar.
  13. I saw the Variety review that was like "this has the worst script I can remember" when I'm sure there have been far worse superhero movie scripts the past handful of years.
  14. I saw the trailer for Taika Waititi's new movie Klara and the Sun came out this week. Is anyone looking forward to this? I know Taika's reputation has taken a bit of a hit in recent years, but I'm still a fan of What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Jojo Rabbit. I want to believe he's capable of making another film like that. Klara and the Sun could be more of his "happy sad" stuff. Although, the fact this was shot in 2024 and is only coming out this year is a bit of a red flag. So we'll see.
  15. I wouldn't pay $100 for an Ultimate Edition of Insomniac's Spider-Man 3, and that's probably my most anticipated game that hasn't been announced yet. $70 is more than enough to pay for a new release. I've never gotten the ultimate edition of anything at launch. I've probably upgraded once or twice afterwards to get story DLC, but I wouldn't pay extra just for cosmetics.
  16. ChrisA90 replied to saperry's topic in Movies
    As much as I love Matt Damon, I think his time in the franchise has ended. Jason Bourne was kind of a dud, which was disappointing. Zendaya's great, so I'm interested to see where this goes.
  17. I hope eventually they just release the extra scenes as bonus material on Disney+. I don't really feel like paying to see this in theaters again.
  18. Yeah. The Rotten Tomatoes score dampened my spirits a bit, but I still think I'll have a fun time.
  19. Yeah. If Digger is good, the Cruise narrative is gonna be super hard to beat. Could be a souped up version of when Leo was up for The Revenant because Cruise has been at this since the early '80s and hasn't won one yet.
  20. Supergirl comes out this week. How's everyone feeling? I'm excited to see it. Going back to when the first trailer was released I always thought it looked like a fun time. And the Krypto stuff is giving it some emotional weight too.
  21. This is definitely one of my more anticipated movies of the fall. Maybe Cruise can finally get his Best Actor win? Some of my favorite Cruise movies are his non-action roles, so I'm excited to see him get back to making these kinds of films.
  22. I haven't even thought about the Magic School Bus since I was a kid
  23. That ship sailed. The Russos even said the MCU's Peter isn't responsible for Uncle Ben's death, so there isn't a place for him in the story.
  24. I've always thought it looks like it's gonna be a fun time at the movies, so I don't think it deserves low box office. Maybe if the full reviews are positive the word of mouth will help it. The good thing is that the budget is around $170 million, so it doesn't need to break records to be successful. Kind of a tricky release date for it though. Toy Story is still gonna be making money, Minions is the week after and then it's all about The Odyssey and Spider-Man.
  25. At this point, it seems all but a given that Toy Story 6 is gonna happen. 5 is already killing it at the box office. So what do you want to see in terms of the story? I think it would be cool to bring this all full circle and have Andy (who now has a kid of his own) return and the toys end up back with him. If they just do something like Bonnie's a teenager and doesn't play with toys anymore, they run the risk of repeating themselves a bit. Whatever it is, I trust Pixar to find the right angle.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.