Everything posted by ChrisA90
-
Pragmata Hype Check
It's already preloaded on my PS5. I'm excited to play it. I enjoyed the demo.
-
The Odyssey vs. Dune 3
It's close, but I'm more excited for The Odyssey because Nolan is my second favorite director of all time (behind only Spielberg). I think Odyssey might be the bigger box office because of IMAX + 2-week head start on Spider-Man. Dune will make its money too, but I'm curious to see how the Dunesday thing plays out.
-
What is your favorite physical media release?
The Indiana Jones Blu-ray set I have (with the first four films) is a good one. You can flip through it and see posters and BTS images from all the movies.
-
Marvel just messed up
This is such a good point. I'm a big James Gunn fan, so I'm biased, but I am much more excited about what DC is doing than Marvel these days. I can't wait to see Clayface just because it sounds so different from other comic book adaptations
-
Spider-Man: Brand New Day vs. Beyond the Spider-Verse
Beyond the Spider-Verse. The twist at the end of Across legitimately surprised me and I can't wait to see how it's resolved.
-
What Do You Think of the Hunt For Gollum Casting?
I kinda feel bad for Dornan. He's walking into an impossible situation. Even if he's good, he's not gonna be as good as Viggo. I agree with James. I'm not 100% sure how they're gonna make this an interesting movie? It's about Gandalf and Aragorn trying to find Gollum before Sauron can torture him, right? But the Lord of the Rings trilogy exists. So what's the pitch? "Come see your favorite LOTR heroes embark on a failed mission"?
-
Have you been excited about any news coming out of CinemaCon so far?
Yeah. It's great to hear stuff like Resident Evil, Dune, etc. are looking great, but I want to see some of this footage. They should definitely release some of it.
-
Tom Cruise in Digger...
This is one of my most anticipated movies of the fall. I love Cruise the action star, but it's great to see him try something different. He's a legit great actor. Some of my favorite Cruise movies are things like Jerry Maguire and A Few Good Men. Nothing would make me happier than Cruise winning Best Actor. If Digger lives up to its potential, they can play the overdue card and run a hell of a campaign for him.
-
How Are We Liking Maul - Shadow Lord So Far?
How is everyone liking Maul - Shadow Lord a handful of episodes in? I'm enjoying it. I'm a big fan of crime movies, so something focused on the Star Wars underworld is right up my alley.
-
Sad news for Disney DVDs and Blu-rays
Yeah, this is bad. I still collect Blu-rays. I've gone digital for gaming and music, but I'll keep getting physical media for movies as long as they make it. I love the sight of all of my movies up on a shelf together.
-
4 Favorites - Director Debuts
Jordan Peele - Get Out Spike Jonze - Being John Malkovich I'll second Lady Bird and Reservoir Dogs.
-
Are you hyped for Zach Cregger's Resident Evil?
I heard a rumor that described this as a 90-minute horror movie version of Fury Road. Sign me the hell up.
-
What Are You Playing This Weekend?
I am wrapping up yet another playthrough of Crash Bandicoot: Warped. I've been replaying the Crash games to celebrate the franchise's 30th anniversary (I am old), plus I wanted something on the short side as I wait for Pragmata this week.
-
What is your favorite underrated superhero movie?
Does Unbreakable count?
-
Upcoming Movies for 2026
Mando and Grogu Disclosure Day Toy Story 5 Supergirl The Odyssey Zach Cregger's Resident Evil Digger Clayface Dune 3 Wild Horse Nine End of Oak Street Spidey and Doomsday
-
Box Office Trends and the DCU
Maybe I'm off base on this, but after the MCU's down year at the box office last year, it seems like box office trends have shifted and superhero movies aren't as sure of a thing. There will always be hit Spider-Man and Batman films, but the era of taking an obscure property like GOTG and turning it into a massive hit might be over. I'm curious what impact (if any) this will have on the DCU as that gets going. Superman was successful, but he's in the same group as Spidey and Batman. I found myself thinking of this quote from Gunn where he basically said he isn't going to make movies about characters the audience doesn't know. Which is very unlike him. https://comicbook.com/movies/news/james-gunn-reveal-promising-update-first-announced-dcu-movie-authority-series-already-cancelled/ Do you think the DCU is going to stick to the "bigger" characters only for movies, at least in the early going? Maybe the way to balance the big guns and the unknowns is to vary on budgets. I like that Clayface is a mid-budget body horror movie. I wish Marvel would try something like that.
-
What do you think is the best console?
PS2 is an all-timer. Although, PS5's SSD eliminating load times really spoiled me.
-
Avatar 4 & 5 Update: Sequels Could Be Cheaper & Shorter? But Is That What We Want?
Fire and Ash cost $500 million when you factor in the marketing costs. I think they could afford to slice a bit off the budget. These things definitely need to be shorter. I'm not usually one to complain about run times (I've rewatched The Irishman multiple times), but Fire and Ash was way too long. Maybe making the next one shorter will help cut down costs a bit since there won't be as much work to do?
-
Avengers: Doomsday Will Perform Well No Matter What
It's gonna make money - especially in the opening weekend - but I think word of mouth is gonna dictate if it has legs or not. If opinions are mixed, I could see this one having a steep second weekend drop off as more people check out Dune.
-
Daredevil: Born Again season 2 episode 4 thoughts 💭
The diner scene was fantastic. And then that ending! Excited to see next week's episode.
-
Movie Recommendations (A Hypothetical Situation)
Oh man. Great call on 25th Hour. That's one of Spike's best movies.
-
New Starfield update, DLC, and PS5 version are out today. Will you be playing?
I'm a sci-fi fan, so this seems like something that'd be up my alley, but I'm not gonna pick it up right now. I don't have that much time for gaming, so a big RPG would take me a while to get through ... and pull me away from the other things I want to play.
-
What’s one nerdy collectible item you’d like to own?
A screen used lightsaber hilt prop from one of the Star Wars movies. Or a screen used One Ring from the LOTR trilogy. Something that wouldn't take up much physical space but would still be cool to display.
-
What Is The Most Influential Sci-Fi Franchise (But With a Caveat)
Alien or Terminator maybe? Back to the Future?
-
What did you think of the new Spider-Man trailer?
Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, so I'm definitely excited for Brand New Day. The only thing I really didn't like in the trailer was how much of a presence Ned and MJ had. I just hope they don't undo the No Way Home ending.